Java Moss (Vesicularia Dubyana) 4oz Portion Cup (by volume-not weight)

SKU:
APA-port01
(18 reviews) Write a Review
$5.95

About This Product

This is a creeping plant that grows on rocks, bogwood, etc. It thrives in dim light and likes warm temperatures. You should, however be careful when purchasing this plant. There are many mosses tagged as Java, but many of them are not meant to be grown underwater. A good dealer will know the difference. The genus name for Java moss is Vesicularia Dubyana.

Note: Many companies claim to have this in stock, only to give a substitution. WE HAVE IT IN STOCK..

NOTE: This is "real" Java Moss (Vesicularia Dubyana), not "Willow moss" that most other companies try to substitute. (sold in a 4 oz portion cup: 4 oz by volume not by weight)

  • Common Name: Java Moss
  • Family Name: Hypnaceae
  • Native To: South America
  • Lighting: Medium
  • pH: 5.5-9
  • Growth Demands: Difficult
  • Growth Form: Moss
  • Growth Rate: Slow
  • True Aquatic: Yes
  • Placement In Tank: Midground
  • Available As: Portion

Customer Reviews

  • 5
    Excellent.

    Posted by Huw Powell on Feb 4th 2011

    I bought two golf balls, I don't know why I bothered with two, but I did. i was on a roll on my first order! Once this plant is established, you will never need more, and can go into business selling it. Anyway, I shoved them both into holes in an old chunk of wood I put in my new 75. Two weeks later, both are "java mossing" - growing pretty green tendrils attached to the wood and looking happy. Oh, and few bits that "got away" seem to be colonizing other parts of my tank, too. Let's hope the tetras decide it's good baby-making material! I used to work at a pet store in the 80s that got the only good plants around. The plants I bought here remind me of that quality.

  • 3
    OK

    Posted by Unknown on Jan 4th 2011

    This is my 3rd order with aquariumplants.com, and i got a couple bunches of the moss. A lot of it came in brown and the pieces were pretty small. Fast forward a few months and it has grown back slowly, as expected for the plant.

  • 2
    Portion smaller than in the past

    Posted by MF on Sep 3rd 2010

    I've bought java moss from aquariumplants before and the portion size was bigger. The first portion, about a year ago, was roughly the size of a tennis ball. The most recent portion came in a golf ball sized tupperware-like container. 40% of the contents was dead. The remaining 60% is still alive in our low-tech tank. Expect about 40% of this moss to be brown upon arrive (even next day air). This is the only so-so product I have received from aquariumplants.

  • 4
    Generous Portion

    Posted by Perry on Nov 2nd 2008

    I was impressed with the portion size and price of this java moss. 5 stars on portion size, I only give 4 stars because of the amount of "brown" java moss received. I would still recommend it.

  • 2
    moss

    Posted by LoriᅠTucker on Jul 6th 2008

    I took the dive and bought an entire Pound of this stuff!! I was Very excited to get it but that soon passed as I stood at the sink for over an hour picking out all the brown!! The moss was very coarse, lots of brown layered parts in it. I was not too happy and emailed these guys but never heard back. That wasnt the only thing that day that did not arrive healthy. It was about 50/50 as far as healthy plants versus unhealthy-soon to be dead plants in that order. I havent ordered since. I would I guess if I knew they would be decent quality or that I'd at least get a reply when I email customer service..........

  • 5
    My Bettas Love It!

    Posted by Julie on Sep 21st 2006

    My Bettas love this Java Moss. They rest on it, or under it, depending on their moods. It's so beautiful too. Aquariumplants.com sent it to me very quickly, and it was very well wrapped up and protected, so that when it arrived, it was alive and healthy! I am very happy with both the service and the plant!